Tuesday, March 30, 2010

STEAL VS ROB




  • Someone robs a person or an organisation, but steals things such as money.

The verb rob is usually followed by the preposition of, while steal is followed by the preposition from. Sometimes the phrase starting with of or from is understood or not stated.


Have a look at the following examples:

  • A mugger robbed me of my wallet in the park.
  • A mugger robbed me in the park.
  • The thief stole a laptop from the store.
  • The thief stole a laptop.
  • They have robbed me.
  • They robbed the bank.
  • I was robbed of my cheque-book.
  • Someone has stolen my watch.
  • They stole plenty of money from us.

Related words

robber: the person who robs
robbery: instance of robbing
thief: the person who steals
theft: instance of stealing

Further practice:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, post your comments. Constructive criticism is appreciated.